Print This Page Print This Page
Email This Page Email This Page


Monthly Council Meeting
March 14th, 2017

Chairperson Peter Mallett called the meeting to order at 6:00 P.M.

Peter Mallett – Chairperson
Ivan Blanchard – Vice-Chairperson
Joan Arsenault – Councilor
John Gillis – Councilor
Pat MacLellan – Councilor
Ricky Myers- Councilor
Michelle Perry- Administrator

2. FIRE DEPT REPORT: No one here at this time to give a report. Light outside the Fire Hall by the bay doors on the church side is out, John MacLellan will be contacted to see if he can come and have a look at it.

a) Monty took the Flaggers course along with Kendall Wright on march 9 in O’Leary, and he has a list of equipment that he needs. Ivan will check to see the difference between the cost of buying or renting.

a) Blood Donor clinic: This is the last week that the Blood Donor will be at the Rec Center they are moving their clinic to Charlottetown.
b) Bingo: There was a worker who won the cookie jar and another bingo, and the players were complaining about it. There is no way that the bingo can be fixed, there is a number on the cards that when put in the computer tells if it is a good bingo or not.

5. ADOPTION OF MINUTES: February 21st , 2017

MOTION moved by Pat MacLellan, seconded by Ricky Myers and carried,
THAT the minutes of the February 21st 2017 be approved as presented.


a)Ivan got a price on the heat pump covers for $900.00 for 2 for the Fire Hall heat pumps. He wanted to put the heaters in them so they will stop icing up. Since the timing of the year is not right and the covers come off in summer they will revisit this in the fall for the covers.
Council voted all in favor of putting the heaters in the heat pumps.
b) Storage Container for Salt: Monty got a price of a bin container 10 x20 ft from Bob Gallants or Corcoran’s $2500.00. Council thought it was a lot of money to store salt, they will put this back on the agenda for August and September.
c) St John the Baptist with drew there letter for the donation for the painting of the Church. Peter and Pat will meet with the Property and Finance of St John the Baptist on Monday to discuss this.

d) Renovations Upstairs: There has been some discussion to remove the stair lift off the scope of the project due to it only good for people with limited mobility’s.

Council voted 3 to 2 in favor of keeping the stair lift in the project and renovating 1 bathroom upstairs to be wheel chair accessible.

e) Meet your Neighbor Night: it was successful again this year but there was a suggestion to have just the brunch and eliminate the dance as there was not a lot of people there. This will be discussed when planning starts next year for this.

a) Fire Dept: Nothing to report
b) Planning Board- Building Permits- None
c) Sewer rate increase. The new tariffs will be in by the end of the week for the sewer increase.
d) Firehall Maintenance & Street Lights: Ivan will contact Maritime Electric to see if they can give us an updated map with all the street lights and their locations.
e) Community Improvements: Sidewalks Kelly Dr. Peter had a meeting with Matthew Fortier, to see about finishing Kelly Dr at the cost of $285,000.00 but with a credit of $150,000.00 coming from highways for the infilling.

MOTION moved by Ivan Blanchard seconded by Ricky Myers and carried,
THAT the final distance of the sidewalks on Kelly Dr be brought to the annual meeting for approval to finish them.

f) Finance: Nothing to report


MOTION moved by Ivan Blanchard seconded by Ricky Myers and carried,
THAT the payment of the following bills totaling $147,554.13 is approved.

a) Centre Belle Alliance: sent an letter advising that the signs around the Church property will be replaced for a cost of $450.00 not sure if the letter was asking for the money to do it or confirming that it will be done as a contribution on the Museum side. Ivan will contact them to get clarification.
b) School Bursary: Going to check with the committee last year to see if they will continue this year. And Michelle will call Three Oaks to see when the Bursary has to be done by.
c) The property on 58 Lady Slipper is going to a public auction
d) Annual Meeting : Council will have 2 draws of 50.00 each for the meeting and they will meet at 6:00 pm on March 21st.
e) Rec Center Rates for rental. Michelle will check with Robert to see what the prices are for rentals.
f) Fire Dues: We have not received the payment for Feb & March from the Fire District and the amount still owing from last year. Michelle will check with the Fire Due Committee board to see if we can get a copy of the amounts that it is owed from St Nicholas and Surrounding Areas.
g) Sewer: 10 lateral that need to be cleaned out this year from the street to the under crossing. Need to set up an appointment with Kensington Septic to have them do it all in the one day.

10. NEXT MEETING: April 11th, 2017