COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES – October 8, 2014
Print This Page
Email This Page
COMMUNITY OF MISCOUCHE
Regular Monthly Meeting
October 8, 2014
1. OPENING OF MEETING
Chairperson, Peter Mallett, called the meeting to order at 7:00 P.M.
Peter Mallett – Chairperson
Ivan Blanchard – Vice-Chairperson
Joan Arsenault – Councilor
John Gillis – Councilor
Ben Murphy – Councilor
Mike MacKinnon – Councilor
Judy Gallant – Administrator
2. MAINTENANCE REPORTS
– Annual Sewer Main Flushing – Judy gave the following reports on behalf of our maintenance worker, Bobby DesRoches that the annual rotational sewer main flushing will begin on Tuesday, October 14th.
– 2000 Maintenance Truck – Council was advised that we have received an offer of $1,000.00 for the purchase of our old 2000 Chev Maintenance Truck. This sale would have to be subject to HST and on an “AS IS” basis.
3. FIRE DEPT REPORTS
– Additional Expenses re fires – Council was advised that a letter had been sent to PEI Mutual advising them that additional expenses were incurred by us and our Fire Dept due to the recent fires located in Belmont Lot 16 in which the burning buildings needed to be torn down in order to prevent the fires from spreading to other buildings located on adjacent property.
Our letter requested that PEI Mutual reimburse us for these additional expenses as set out on page 9 of their homeowners insurance booklet relating to Fire Department Charges. We are still waiting their response.
– Special Mass for Firefighters – Ivan reported that Father Conway will be holding a special mass on Sunday October 19th for our Firemen.
– Special Fundraising – Ivan reported that the Firemen voted not to do the “Chase the “A”
4. REC CENTRE REPORTS
– Renovations – Council was advised that the work will begin this week and Peter advised that he will be giving the contractors some of the Council members phone numbers in case the contractors need to speak to someone if an issue should arise. A suggestion was made that we hire someone in the community who is a retired carpenter, as a project manager to act on our behalf to periodically check on the work being done. Peter will check with the resident to see if he would be willing to act as our project manager.
5. APPROVAL OF BILLS TOTALING $26,801.28
MOTION moved by Ivan Blanchard, seconded by Ben Murphy and carried
THAT the payment of the following bills totaling $26,801.28 is approved.
(At this time, 7:50 p.m., Ben Murphy had to leave the meeting)
6. ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MOTION moved by John Gillis, seconded by Ivan Blanchard and carried,
THAT the minutes of the September 10, 2014 regular and September 24, 2014
special meetings be approved as presented.
7. BUSINESS ARISING
a) Unsightly Properties – Council was advised that copies of actual
bills relating to the demolition of the buildings and our legal bills as well as a copy of our latest letter to Est. – requesting payment of the expenses for demolition of the building and legal fees, was given to our Lawyer, John Brennan with instructions to proceed with having a lien/judgement placed against the property so we can try and recoup our costs.
b) Highway Issues – Peter reported that he is still waiting further response to our issues
that we raised at last meeting with Sonny Gallant on September 24th.
c) Gas Tax Extension – Following discussion Council members agreed to submit Capital
Investment Plans for both sewer system upgrades and for energy retrofit of the Rec Centre.
d) Municipal Elections – reminder November 3, 2014 is the election date and will be held
at the Rec Centre at 7:00 P.M.
e) Maintenance Vehicle – already discussed.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS
a) Fire Dept – already discussed
b) Planning Board – two permits issued
– renovations/upgrades to 4 Lady Slipper Drive South – Multi unit apartment building.
– construct new dwelling on Heritage Drive.
c) Recreation – Peter reported that the two summer students have now completed their
summer employment and that they were quite busy all summer with various youth programs.
d) Sewer – Outstanding Sewer Accounts – Council was advised that registered letters were
sent to three property owners with large outstanding accounts advising deadline for payment
was September 29th after which their sewer lines would be disconnected.
e) Firehall Maintenance & St. Lights
– 2014/2015 Snow Removal – Following discussion Council instructed Judy to contact the 2 local residents to see if they would provide us with a quote for this season’s snow removal. Deadline for submission will be October 27, 2014.
f) Finance – Nothing new to report
g) Community Improvements
– Appreciation Dinner for Rec Centre Volunteers – We will need to check with the members of the Seniors Club to see if they would be willing to put on the dinner and also check with the group leaders to see when a suitable date would be.
9. NEW BUSINESS
– FPEIM Semi Annual Meeting – This will be held on Saturday, November 29th at the Centre-Expo Festival hall in Abrams Village.
10. NEXT MEETINGS
– Special Municipal Election Meeting – Will be held at the Rec Centre on Monday, November 3rd at 7:00 P.M. New Council Members elected officially take office November 17th, 2014.
– Next Regular Monthly Meeting – Wednesday, November 12th, 2014 at 7:00 P.M.
11. MEETING ADJOURNED.