COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES- February 9 2021
Print This Post
Email This Post
RURAL MUNICIPALITY OF MISCOUCHE
Monthly Council Meeting
February 9th, 2021
1. OPENING MEETING
Mayor Albert Gallant called the meeting to order at 7:00 P.M.
Albert Gallant – Mayor
Allan Parks – Deputy Mayor
Jacqueline Lecky- Councillor
Pat MacLellan – Councillor
John Searle- Councillor
Ivan Blanchard- Councillor
Joan Arsenault – Councillor
Michelle Perry- Administrator
Mayor Albert Gallant introduced Scott Smith to council and gave Scott the floor.
Scott Smith from the Community navigator gave a brief presentation on how they support new residents of PEI into the communities and wanted to know if any of the council members would be interested in being on a steering community made up of about 20 people to give input and insight on new residents to PEI. Council said that they will look at the information that he gave to them and they will definitely think about it.
Albert thanked Scott for the presentation and he left the meeting.
2. Declaration of Conflict of Interest: No one declared a conflict of interest
3. FIRE DEPARTMENT: Chief Jason Woodbury gave the following report: The PEI Firefighter Association has lowered their prices again to $20.00 a person and Jason has a meeting with the board to see if Miscouche can join back in. The department wanted to thank council for the gift cards that they were given at Christmas it was certainly appreciated. The department general operational guidelines are being reviewed and updated and a copy will be given to the office to keep on file. Jason gave a brief explanation on the budget focusing on the Honorarium structure. And how they have changed it to a flat rate and depending on your duties will depend on what the flat rate price will be. Also Jason stated that depending on restrictions for Covid will depend on whether they have the monument reveal this year.
Council thanked Jason for the explanation.
4. MAINTENANCE REPORT:
a) The Trailer hitch was purchased and has been installed on the service truck.
5. REC CENTER REPORT: Jacqueline gave the following Bingo report: There was a compliant for bingo 2 weeks ago and this has been dealt with the person and also Public Health. Also No Smoking signs will need to be purchased to say 15ft from the building. Also the bingo players are looking to see if they can have 2 bingo a week. Council discussed and agreed that they will keep the bingo’s as is for at least a year then see how they are going as there is a possibility we can get shut down anytime depending on the restrictions from Public Health. Also it was suggested that Jacqueline and Michelle meet with the bingo managers to go over a few concerns. Michelle will set this up. And since the door was taking down in the kitchen opening the bingo players are saying that they feel a draft. Michelle had gotten a quote for a blind to be put in the opening.
MOTION moved by John Searle seconded by Pat MacLellan and carried
THAT the commercial blind be purchased from Nulook Blinds for $549.00 plus tax for the opening of the kitchen at the Rec Center.
6. ADOPTION OF MINUTES: Meeting minutes for January 12th,2021 and Special Meeting February 8th, 2021 for the 1st reading of the Amendment of the Zoning and Subdivision Bylaw.
MOTION moved by Ivan Blanchard seconded by Jacqueline Lecky and carried
THAT the minutes for January 12th , and Special Meeting February 8th, 2021 be approved as presented.
7. BUSINESS ARISING:
a) West Lagoon Change of Ownership: Michelle called the Lawyer and they are still working on this. Also Michelle was in touch with the ICIP Funding and we will need to reapply when the funding opens up again.
b) Automatic Doors: There were installed at the Municipal Office the Seniors Room and the Rec Center and we are waiting the electrician to finish wiring them in.
c) Budget/ Staff raise and Public Meeting for the Budget: Council has discussed the raise for the Honorariums for Fire Department and Council and the Raise for the Maintenance person. And are preliminary as follows. Fire Department Honorarium going to $21,000.00 a year. Council Honorariums going up by $100.00 a year for each person. Maintenance person wages increasing by $6.5% and Special Meeting going from $25.00 to $35.00. This will all be factored into the budget for the meeting February 22, 2021 at 6:00 pm with a storm date for February 23, 2021.
d) Fire hall Video for the sewer: This has not been completed yet but will get done before next month.
e) Corcoran’s Farm: Michelle was speaking with environment and they do not investigate unless a leak was reported. Because Micouche has there own Bylaws for unsightly property Council will need to deal with this. It was suggested that they sit down with the owner to see if council and the owner can agree on what needs to be done.
8. COMMITTEE REPORTS:
a) Fire Dept: Already discussed
b) Planning Board- Building Permits- 15′ x15′ Addition on the back of the dwelling 20 Gillis St
c) Sewer: 10 Disconnect letters will be delivered this week.
d) Firehall Maintenance & Street Lights: Canada Post advised that they do not put lights up for the community mail boxes, and it was also advised that only 1 resident from Miscouche gets their mail from the box on lady Slipper Dr N the rest are from the outlying areas.
e) Community Improvements: Wind Break at the Seniors door: the Miscouche AA Group gave a $500.00 donation towards this. And council will come up with some ideas on what they want to see as a wind break for the door.
f) Finances: Transfer money to Capital Projects fund.
MOTION moved by Jacqueline Lecky seconded by John Searle and carried
THAT the community transfer funds from General Account for $25,000.00 and put it in the Capital Projects Fund.
9. APPROVAL OF BILLS TOTALING $ 54,490.70
MOTION moved by Allan Parks seconded by John Searle and carried
THAT the payment of the bills totaling $ 54,490.70 is approved.
10. NEW BUSINESS:
a) Sewer rates over the next 5 years. IRAC sent a rate analysis for the next 2 years and advised that the utility is still carrying a significant deficit and wanted to know what council was planning for the next 5 years. Council discussed increasing it.
MOTION moved by Allan Parks seconded by Jacqueline Lecky and carried
THAT the community apply for a $15.00 a year increase for the next 5 years.
Ivan Blanchard voted against. Motion Carried
b) CAO/ Board Member Training: Michelle will be doing 4 free sessions for CAO Training on various aspects of the Municipality. There is also training for Board Members through Holland College for 100.00 plus HST a person for 4 courses. Council will look into it.
c) FCM Membership: Council did not want to join this membership and will continue with FPEIM
11. NEXT MEETING: Budget Meeting February 22nd, 2021, Public Hearing for Amendment March 8th 2021 Monthly Meeting March 9th, 2020
12. MEETING ADJOURNED
MOTION moved by John Searle THAT the meeting of February 9th, 2021 be adjourned.