Print This Page Print This Page
Email This Page Email This Page

Regular Monthly Meeting
February 12, 2014

Chairperson, Peter Mallett, called the meeting to order at 7:00 P.M.

Peter Mallett – Chairperson
Ivan Blanchard – Vice-Chairperson
Joan Arsenault – Councilor
John Gillis – Councilor
Ben Murphy – Councilor
Judy Gallant – Administrator
And: Jason Woodbury – Fire Chief, Paul Perry – Deputy Fire Chief,
Robert Gallant – Manager of Rec Centre
Absent: Mike MacKinnon – Councilor

– Lift Stations: Council was advised that due to a problem one of the pumps in the Kelly Drive/Kinsmen Road Lift Station, had to be taken out and is at Paul’s Electromechanical being repaired.
– Sewer Flushing – Council was advised that Kensington Septic Systems have advised that they have purchased a sewer jetter/flusher and are now able to do sewer main flushing. There current rate is $150.00 per hour.

(At this time Jason Woodbury and Paul Perry came into the meeting)

– Grant Application – Jason reported that the Fire Dept would like to apply for a grant through the Island Community Fund to purchase air bags which can be used to help lift motor vehicles etc. at an accident scene and also additional smoke fans. The estimated cost is $10,500.00 could be split 50/50 under the proposed grant.
– Mock Exercise – The Fire Dept will be involved in a joint mock emergency exercise on May 17th. The mock exercise will be held at the Miscouche Rec Centre.
– Tanker – Jason reported that the water tank on the Fire Dept tanker is leaking again and may need to be replaced with a new water tank soon. The firemen will try to see if there are any used tanks available for purchase and what the estimated cost would be.
– Fast Rescue – The firemen asked that Council give consideration to purchasing a used pick up truck that could be used as a Fast Rescue unit. This vehicle could be used to respond to minor medical calls instead of taking the larger Rescue Unit. The truck could also be used to carry fire fighting equipment to and from fire and accident scenes.
– 2014 Budget – Jason reported that the firemen will try to have a draft fire department budget prepared for Council’s consideration.
Council thanked Jason and Paul for their reports and Jason and Paul then left the meeting.

(At this time Robert Gallant, Manager of the Rec Centre, came into the meeting)

– Bingo – Robert reported that there has been good attendance at the weekly bingos over the past few weeks.
– Changes to Bingo Games – Robert will be looking into making a few changes in the bingo game schedule and formats.

– Survey Questionnaire – Council members reviewed some of the results of the recent survey questionnaire which was filled out by the bingo players. Some changes that were suggested included changing the types of bingo games. Robert also advised that the total prizes, excluding the jackpots, could be increased from $2,700.00 to $2,800.00.
– Additional Volunteers – There have been 6 more individuals who indicated that they would be willing to volunteer at the weekly bingos.
Following additional general discussions concerning the Rec Centre activities council thanked Robert for his attendance and Robert then left the meeting.


MOTION moved by Ben Murphy, seconded by John Gillis and carried, that the minutes
of the January 8, 2014 regular and January 29, 2014 special meetings are approved
as presented.

a) Unsightly Property – Est. Of A. DesRoches – Council was advised that the registered letter
which was sent to the Est. Of A. DesRoches  has now been returned as unclaimed. The next step will be to obtain quotes for tearing down the structures and cleaning up the property. An Order to Clean Up would then need to be prepared and forwarded to the Est. Of A. DesRoches by registered mail at the same address in St. John, N.B. along with the estimates we obtain for the cost of the clean up. Ben and Peter are currently in the process of obtaining quotes for the work. In the alternative to sending the Clean Up Order by registered mail we could also have our Solicitor attempt to have a process server deliver the documents in person to the St. John address we have on file.

b) Rec Centre
– Festival of Small Halls – Council discussed the possibility of applying to have the Rec Centre as a venue for this years Festival of Small Halls. Bill McFadden will be giving a presentation on this years proposed plays at 6:00 P.M. on Tuesday, February 18th at the Haviland Club in Charlottetown. Some of the Council members will try to attend this information session.
– Grant-in-Lieu – Judy reported that she has filed an application with the Provincial property tax office for a grant-in-lieu for the non-commercial portion of the Provincial property tax on the Rec Centre.
– Renovations – Grant Application – Council discussed applying again this year for a grants to help with the cost of renovations/improvements at the Rec Centre. Ivan reported that he was advised by Wellington Construction that the estimate that they had given last year would remain the same for this year. Council members will set up a meeting with Giselle Bernard the first of March to fill out the necessary application forms.

c) Sister Della Gaudet – Proposal for “2014″ Celebrations
Joan reported the this is still tentatively set for Sunday afternoon of May 4th at the Rec Centre.

d) Sewer Accounts Payment Options – Peter reported that he has spoken with Julie
Thompson of Payment Solutions Options about setting up a Debit Machine at the office. The initial cost for set up would be approximately $350.00 plus $10.00 per month lease fee and a

minimum fee of $10.00 for any Visa or Mastercard use. Peter has not yet been able to determine what the fee would be for a “Debit Only” use. Following further discussion:

MOTION moved by Ivan Blanchard, seconded by Ben Murphy and carried,
THAT the Community install a “Debit Machine” at the office.
Peter agreed to look into having a debit machine installed.

e) Miscouche Family Day (Meet Your Neighbor Day) – Council reviewed a draft of the
flyer which was prepared by Mike MacKinnon for the March 1, 2014 Community Family (Meet Your Neighbor) Day. Council members still need to finalize some of the items listed on the flyer and when that is done copies of the flyers are to be mailed to all households within the Community.

a) Fire Dept.
– Miscouche Family (Meet Your Neighbor Day) – The firemen have advised that they would be willing to participate in the Family Day activities on March 1st.
– Equipment – Air Bags – Ivan agreed to check to see if there would be any additional liability attached to the use of “Air Bags” by the Firemen at an emergency scene.
– Water Tank Replacement – Council members agreed to look into this issue further.

b) Recreation – Already discussed.

c) Planning Board – No new permits issued this period.

d) Sewer
– Outstanding Sewer Accounts – Miscouche Legion – Council was advised that as a result of financial issues that only recently came to the attention of the Legion Executive, we have received a letter from Edwin DesRoches, 1st Vice President of the Legion asking if Council would consider forgiving part or all of their outstanding 2013 sewer bill. Following discussions on various ways the Community could assist the Legion in this matter, Council members advised that they would be willing to consider two options for the Legion.
– Either the Community forgo charging additional interest on the Legion’s outstanding sewer account for a period of six months to given them a chance to bring down their debt; or
– Give the Legion Executive and workers an opportunity to volunteer at a weekly Bingo at the Rec Centre and in exchange the Council would be willing to let the Legion take the proceeds from the bingo only revenue for that night CONDITIONAL upon the Legion agreeing to use the funds raised that night to go towards their outstanding sewer bill.
Council members will present these options to the Legion.

e) Acadian Purchase Trust – Council was advised that recent repairs had to be carried out on
roof of the peat moss plant due to damage by snow and ice at a cost of $1,533.30.

f) Firehall Maintenance & St. Lights
– Fire Dept lounge/meeting room thermostat. – Council agreed to purchase and install a
programmable thermostat in the firemen’s lounge/meeting room to help reduce heating costs when the firemen are not using their meeting room/lounge.

g) Community Improvements – Nothing new to report.

h) Finance
– Sidewalk Loan – Has now been paid in full.
– Proposed 2014 Budget Preparation – Special Council Meeting – tentative date will be Wednesday, February 19th at 6:30 P.M. to begin preparing 2014 proposed budget.
– Three Oaks Annual Bursary – To discuss with Mike MacKinnon to set up for 2014.


MOTION moved by John Gillis, seconded by Ivan Blanchard and carried,
THAT the payment of the following bills totaling $21,372.76 is approved.

a) Summer Student – Will need to get a report from Mike MacKinnon at next meeting.
b) Thank You Card – Received from St. John the Baptist Cemetery Committee for donation
to Unmarked Grave Monument

– Special Budget Preparation Meeting – Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 6:30 P.M.
– Regular Monthly Meeting – Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 7:00 P.M.